English conversational phrases
1. Вводные и завершающие слова и предложения
● first of all — прежде всего
First of all, Dr Zoidberg, do you even have a medical degree?
● deep down — в глубине души (на самом деле)
I have misgivings about this mission, but deep down, I know we're doing the right thing
● by the way — кстати
And by the way, Sherman didn't even get laid.
● in short / in brief / in a word — короче
In short: I think it's time to start talking about a divorce.
● as to / as for — что касается
As for why they didn't film in Scotland, no idea, probably a budget issue.
● for one's part / on one's part — что касается конкретного человека
I know for my part that I'd surrender everything, honor included, in order to get out of the mess.
● in my opinion — по моему мнению
That's awful, in my opinion.
● believe it or not — веришь или нет, но
Believe it or not, I have more important things to do today than laugh and clap my hands.
● look here — послушай
Look here, Fillmore, what is it you'd really like to do? Tell me!
● above all — прежде всего
But above all it made me think about things.
● in all probability / in all likelihood — по всей вероятности
February 13th, 2001, was in all probability a day neither more nor less amazing than any other day
● needless to say — нет нужды говорить
My father and I don't get along; he doesn't approve of my lifestyle and, needless to say, I don't approve of his.
● something tells me — что-то мне подсказывает,…
Something tells me I could easily beat those trained professionals.
● after all — конце концов
I didn't think you'd show your face around me again. I figured you were humiliated. You did run away, after all.
● what's more — кроме того
I would say: "Sure! Sure, I'm in love with her! And what's more, I'm going to be faithful to her!"
● the thing is — дело в том
Well, the thing is, I don't want to stay at any hotels on the East Side where I might run into some acquaintances of mine.
● for the most part — вообще
For the most part the members of this genealogical tree look like withered leaves: the women are frail and they have a startled, frightened look in their eyes: the men have a keen, intelligent look, like educated chimpanzees.
● for example / for instance / for one thing — например,…
For one thing, it was Nin's husband's money that financed her freewheeling lifestyle.
● I dare say — осмелюсь сказать,…
He was the most brilliant man I have ever known — and I dare say people have envied me for sharing that flat with him in Baker Street
● In other words — другими словами,
In other words, he's a gangster.
● if I'm not mistaken — если я не ошибаюсь
If I'm not mistaken, there are two attack helicopters headed this way.
● if I remember rightly — если я правильно помню
He showed us a bottle he had in his pocket — "Venetienne" it was called, if I remember rightly.
● at least — по крайней мере
At least now I know what the hell has happened.
● at any rate — во всяком случае
At any rate, I certainly wouldn't harm the child.
● on the contrary — наоборот